Okay. I have to get something off my chest. Why is it that people act like having all boys is about as horrible as a death sentence? Last Sunday, the teacher in our RS was giving her lesson. She was using several examples from her life as a full time mom. After one particular example, one of the younger sisters in the ward (who, of course, only has one child - a girl) leans over to another woman and says "She has six boys!" - with a tone that said "I'd rather shoot myself." The woman next to her reacted with the same tone saying "SIX!!!!!" I wanted to get up, walk over there and say "First of all, she has five boys - but judging from your tone that wouldn't matter. What is your problem with boys?" Of course, I didn't. I just let it bug me the rest of the day and Jeremy will testify that I was not a fun person to have around. I have also had many, many experiences where I have been somewhere minding my own business and total strangers say to me "4 BOYS?!?! " with that same" I'd rather die" tone. I am so tremendously sick of it, that finally last week as Jeremy and I were walking into WalMart with our apparently unacceptable brood of males and I got the horrified "Four Boys" comment, I held my tongue until we were out of earshot and then said to Jeremy "Oh really, we hadn't noticed. Thanks for being the first to point that out to us." Jeremy got after me and told me that she didn't mean anything by it. I know Jeremy is right and most people do not know that what they are saying may sting, but I really an tired of it already and I hate the fact that I will be putting up with these comments the rest of my life. So please - if you know of anyone, or see anyone who has a bunch of children that are all the same gender. Do them a favor and keep any opinions to yourself.
I'm off my soapbox now. I'm going to go play Zingo with my boys, who I happen to think are pretty terrific!!!
1 comment:
Amen!! I have all brothers and love it. I would love to have all boys. My mom in law has 5 boys and still talks about how she never got her girl. I know she wanted one but I think it makes her boys feel bad that she had them to try and get a girl.
Post a Comment