Saturday, July 29, 2017

Summer Trip - Day 7



On the seventh day of our trip, we left Casper and drove out to Independence Rock.  We took a walk around it, and the kids climbed up and found some names.  We explained to the kids why it was called Independence Rock.  They must have found it pretty interesting, because when a missionary at a visitors center asked them about it later, they knew the answer.  The missionary was impressed and told them they were the first kids or teenagers that had ever been able to answer that question for him.


Then we drove out to the Martin's Cove visitor's center.  I had been there before, but this was a first for Jeremy and the boys.


We, of course, had to take Thomas's picture by Thomas Boyington's name on the Willie Handcart list.  Thomas was named after him because it always meant so much to me that Thomas Boyington (my great great grandfather) was part of this company.  He must have had tremendous strength and dedication.  I hope my Thomas will grow up to be the same.


The big boys took the opportunity to pull a handcart.  Notice Devil's Gate in the background.


The little boys enjoyed their ride.


They also enjoyed pulling one of the mini handcarts.

After we left Martin's Cove, we went out to the new visitor's center at Sixth Crossing.  This is where they focus on the rescue of the Willie Handcart company.  I can't believe that I didn't get even one picture there.  It is such a shame because the visitor's center is beautiful and the movie about the Willie handcart company is so well done, and the presentations are also so well done.  The missionaries were so knowledgeable.  We had a great visit with them.  We were the only ones there, and they told us that the visitors have been few and far between.  I hope it picks up, because it was truly one of the highlights of my trip and definitely the highlight of my day that day.  If you get a chance to visit - take it!

From there we drove to Cokeville for my family reunion.  It was nice to catch up with so many relatives I haven't seen in awhile.  From Cokeville we went down and spent a week in Orem at my parent's house.  Sorry - no more pictures.  I guess I was tired of playing photographer and we were super busy helping my parents re-do their basement bathroom.  It was good to be in Orem again for awhile.  I still love and miss it there.

After the week in Orem, we headed back to Taylor and we are happy to be back in our own house (and beds) again.  

We had a great trip and made so many memories.  I just hope I can talk my kids into doing it again for another Christmas in a year or two.

No comments: