Tuesday, August 18, 2020

First Day of School


My boys went back to school yesterday.  They are lucky enough to be able to attend in person and they were so ready to go back.  I know this is a controversial issue, but I think most parents know that it has been really hard on our kids to be out of school so long, so I am happy for them that the wait is finally over, and they get to regain a small amount of normalcy in their lives.


Tad is in third grade.  His teacher is Mrs. Tanner.  This is her first year as a teacher, but Tad says she is really nice and "doesn't seem like she will be a yeller.", so that is good.  This will be his last year at the Elementary school with his dad as the principal.  I think it will be harder on Jeremy when Tad leaves next year than it will on Tad.  He has loved having his kids attend his school and he has always had at least one there since he became the principal, seven years ago.


Drake is in 5th grade.  His teacher is Mr. Whiting.  Jack also had him for fifth grade and he is still Jack's all time favorite teacher.  That is saying a lot because Jack has truly had the best teachers, and he has loved all of them.  Drake came home from school glowing yesterday, so I am sure he will have a great year in Mr. Whiting's class too.


Jack is in 7th grade and started at the Junior High.  I have been nervous about this change for Jack since it is always a big adjustment moving from a self-contained classroom with one teacher to having to keep track of a bunch of teachers, classes, and assignments.  On top of that, he is still working on overcoming his knee and leg injuries, so he has to hobble around the campus as best he can.  In any case, he said he had a good day yesterday and is optimistic about this year.


Thomas is a Freshman and he moved up to the high school.  It is always nerve-wracking to change schools, but I know he is happy to be moving on from the Junior High.  He said he had a good day yesterday.  He likes his teachers so far, and has lots of friends in his classes.

 
Dallin is a sophomore this year.  He is so happy to be back at the high school with his friends and classmates.  He also had a good day yesterday.  He (and I) are looking forward to him getting his drivers license at the end of the month, so he can get himself and Thomas to the high school, which is at the far side of Snowflake.


I, of course, had to include a picture of them all masked-up.  I know so many people who are opposed to sending their kids to school in masks, but my kids all said they didn't care as long as they got to go back to school.  Yesterday, when I picked them all up, I asked them how it was wearing the masks all day.  They all said it wasn't bad. 

2020 has definitely been a rough year.  We are all crossing our fingers that this new school year will be a fresh start to something better.

No comments: