Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Time

As usual the month of December has kept us pretty busy.  Since we are in such a little place this year, we didn't get out any Christmas decorations except for the tree (which I actually considered not putting up this year - how grinchy of me), and the favorite advent calendar quilt.  I felt bad that last year we didn't really do many of the activities on the quilt because I was so sick, so I decided that this year we would do a little better, even if our living quarters aren't really conducive to it right now.

Here are a few of those activities and a few other things that we have done this Christmas season. . .



Visiting Salt Lake City while we were in Utah.


Decorating sugar cone Christmas trees.  The boys love this annual tradition.


We made these easy, minimal mess angel ornaments.


Decorating gingerbread men.  I did not want to do another activity that involved decorating something sugary with frosting and candy, but Jack begged and begged, so I finally gave in.  My boys also decorated gingerbread houses at the ward party and I just found out that they will be decorating gingerbread houses tomorrow night at my mother-in-laws house.  If they didn't actually eat all of the candy that they decorated with, it wouldn't bother me, but I am seriously starting to worry about their health and teeth. ;)


Christmas gifts for Jeremy's faculty and staff.


Slow cooker hot chocolate.  I make this once a year and it is delicious.  I tried the recipe with the sweetened condensed milk, but it was way too rich and sweet for us, so I made up a new one.  We love it.  It is still rich, sweet, and super creamy, but you can actually get through the entire cup.  Still - - it is a once a year indulgence - - definitely super calorie laden.


Finally, Thomas singing in the Elementary school Christmas program.


And Jack singing and playing the drum in the program.  They both did a great job!!

I didn't get a picture of Dallin singing in his program, but he did a great job too.  His was held first thing in the morning, so by the time I got myself and the little boys out the door, I was worried about being late and ran off without my camera.  I don't have a reserved seat by the principal at his school the way I do at the elementary school :).

We are grateful for this time of year and all the fun that it provides.  I am also super grateful that this year I was healthy and could enjoy the season with my family.  Most of all, at this time of year, we are grateful for our Savior.  We are grateful for His birth, for His life and example, and for His sacrifice for us.  Merry Christmas everyone!!

No comments: