Saturday, October 27, 2012

Halloween is Coming!

We have been busy with Halloween fun around here.  Decorating, costume planning, and a few fun other things that I will share here.


We made these cute little mummy juice boxes for Jack's spotlight day at preschool.    They were a hit.  I can't take credit for the idea.  I found it on Pinterest, but they were fun and easy to make.  You just need to make sure that you remove the straw carefully so it can be hot glued back onto the box after you are done with the taping.  You also need to make sure that you leave the straw opening free.  We totally used up all of Jeremy's white electrical tape on these little things, but it was worth it!  They are so cute!!


Another look at our mummies.  I asked Drake if he thought they were cute.  He said "No.  They are mad!"  Well, that is okay.  They are Halloween mummies after all.


The pillows on our front room couch needed replacing, so I purchased fabric to make fresh pillow covers. While I was looking, I found this fun fabric that had the colors of my living room, plus some fall-ish colors, so I decided to make a couple of seasonal pillowcases just for fun.


Here they are on the couch with my cute babies playing away in front.  My kids really do wear pants most of the time, I swear.


I had a bunch of leftover orange scraps from a quilt I made about a year ago.  I decided to use them to make another quilt.  I have been wanting to try making one of those wonky strip quilts, and I thought that would be perfect for a Halloween quilt.   The wonky-ness just makes it seem more Halloweenish to me. 

Jack is my quilting buddy.  Here he is helping me lay out all of the wonky strips.


He wanted his picture taken the  next day with the rows all laid together for final approval.  Sorry about the irritating backlighting on this picture.


Drake needed a picture taken too. Look at that dirty face!!  I swear the dirt just resurfaces as soon as I clean him up.

 Here is the finished quilt. I did minimal straight line quilting on this and the lines aren't really very straight.  I swear it only took me about 30 minutes to quilt the whole thing, because I just decided crooked quilting was just fine on a wonky quilt.  I am happy with how it turned out.  It was a fun quilt to make, but quite a bit more challenging than I thought it would be

  Dallin was my holder here.  He had to stand on a stepstool and hold his arms all the way out and above his head for me to get this shot, so he wasn't happy.  Thanks for your help Dallin!!!



Jack, of course, had to test the quilt out. He said it is "warm and comfy."  Between his review and the fact that now all the boys fight over it when they are sitting around the house, means it was worth the effort.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Someday I hope to be able to make beautiful quilts like you. I don't know how you get so many great projects done with so many little boys. But I can see that they are good helpers--that's probably how! And your boys are darling--even if they have dirty faces or no pants. :)